Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day

Today is Mother's Day. I have such mixed emotions about this day. It's a time to remember my mom, celebrate my mother-in-law, and be celebrated by my own children.


Usually my Mother's Day include 2 children. Last year, after we started fostering, it included 4. Two biological and 2 temporary children, who we love and miss like crazy.


Today I insisted on a picture, because this year I have 5. This time last week I didn't. On Thursday we were asked if we wanted to take a 1 week old baby. Our other foster children are 2 1/2 years and 8 1/2 months. I forwarded the email to Jimmy to share with him how crazy the question even was. Of course we couldn't take a newborn when we have a baby already at home! He didn't think it was crazy. His confidence in our ability to do this amazes me. I wasn't sure we could. I'm still not sure, but we are. That night they brought us this tiny little baby. So tiny that even newborn clothes seem a little big.


A few minutes ago I sat rocking this 10 day old miracle. She's perfect and beautiful. And I thought about Mother's Day. Not too far from where I live a woman is having her first Mother's Day with empty arms. I met her on Friday. She loves and wants this baby. Unfortunately, poor choices sometimes have huge consequences, so for now I have her baby. I'll do my best to love her and care for her.

The first few weeks of a baby's life are such a precious bonding time and she's missing that. It's not my job to judge her decisions or her actions that got her to this place. Right now I grieve for her. A mother without her baby. I pray she does what's required to get this angel home, and that this sweet baby will always be taken care of and loved.


Other mothers are facing this Mother's Day with the realization that their child isn't coming home. Some mothers have had their rights terminated. It's not a decision made lightly. What a terrible decision to have to make. What a terrible reality to have to live with. Hopefully, their children will find permanency and love.


So, like I said, a range of emotions. For all the mothers of biological children, adopted children, and foster children, may your 'children rise up and call you blessed.' (Proverbs 31:28) For those mothers with empty arms tonight remember, "The LORD is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit." (Psalms 34:18).

No comments:

Post a Comment