Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The Tragic Privilege

When I started this blog my plan was to walk my way through our journey that started a year and a half ago. Today I attended a panel review for one of my foster children and decided to jump to the present.

A panel review (for those unfamiliar) is a meeting with court appointed people who review the case and make suggestions to the judge. Along with them today were the case workers, the parent, and me. This was the first panel review I have ever attended. It's informative. It's hard. You sit while these people speak bluntly about what is not being done. You feel for the parent. The parent of the child I am parenting.

I met her for the first time today. I was nervous. I always am when I meet my kids' parents. As soon as she walked in and smiled, my nervousness faded. She was kind. She was friendly. She was grateful that I give her pictures of her son. Her son who calls her mommy. Her son who also calls me mommy. To be honest, he calls most women mommy. It's a role way too many people have filled in his young life.

It reminds me of an adoption quote. Though he is not ours permanently it still fits. "A child born to another woman calls me mommy. The magnitude of that tragedy and the depth of that privilege are not lost on me." -Jody Landers.

It is a tragedy that foster care is even needed. But since it is, I'm grateful for the privilege to hear him call me mommy, even for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment